Fighting Serious Drug Crime Charges
Whether you are charged with narcotics trafficking or narcotics possession, The Law Office of John Alt has the experience to effectively fight for your rights and successfully litigate your drug case. With over 20 years of experience in the criminal justice system, 12 of which were spent as a superior court magistrate judge, I am a drug crime lawyer who knows how to get things done correctly. If you are facing drug crime charges in Indiana, turn to me to ensure your rights are protected.
Contact our drug crime lawyer in Indianapolis to start discussing your case.
What Are The Drug Possession Penalties In Indiana?
A person charged with a drug crime needs an experienced lawyer at their side. I have thousands of drug cases under my belt and will work closely with you to bring about the best practicable resolution to your case. Under Indiana law, those convicted of drug offenses can face an array of strict and harsh penalties. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the crime, these penalties could include:
- Years of incarceration
- Community corrections
- Years of probation
- Thousands of dollars in fines, penalties, fees and costs
- Multiyear license suspensions
Indiana Marijuana Laws
Under federal law, the possession and sale of marijuana is still illegal, regardless of each state’s position. If Indiana legalizes the use of marijuana, you can still be prosecuted under federal laws. If you have been charged with possession of marijuana, it is important to understand your rights and options.
Is Possession Of Coke A Felony?
In Indiana, possession of cocaine is charged as a felony depending on the amount that is found in your possession and the circumstances surrounding the case. Possible classifications of cocaine possession include:
- Class D felony: less than three grams
- Class B felony: less than three grams and within 1,000 feet of a school property
- Class C felony: more than three grams
- Class A felony: more than three grams and within 1,000 feet of a school property
Aggressively Challenging The Drug Charges Against You
As your defense attorney, a few of the defenses I can argue on your behalf include:
- Lack of possession: The evidence fails to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that:
you, as opposed to someone else, possessed the controlled substance.
- Unwitting possession: The drugs were left on your person, in your vehicle or among your
possessions without your knowledge or consent.
- Fourth Amendment violations: The police violated your constitutional right against unlawful
searches and seizures, and thus the evidence against you must be suppressed.
- Entrapment: The government induced you to commit the crime, and you were not
otherwise predisposed to commit the crime.
- Crime lab mistakes: The lab misanalyzed the drugs, failed to follow proper procedure,
cross-contaminated samples or falsified test results.
Get The Strong Representation You Need
I have successfully represented clients charged with both misdemeanor- and felony-level drug offenses, and have gone to trial on hundreds of occasions. From major felonies such as trafficking and school zone enhancement offenses to lower-level felonies such as possessing less than three grams of cocaine or meth to misdemeanor offenses such as possessing marijuana or drug paraphernalia, I provide aggressive, knowledgeable legal representation in drug cases.
For exceptional legal representation in your drug crime case, contact my office by calling 317-981-7399. You can also send me an email online.