There Is No Backing Down When Seeking Justice For You

What To Know About Your Post-Conviction Options

Have you been accused of violating the terms of your sentence? What if your probation officer alleges you disobeyed an order of the court, even if you didn’t? Need to clear a charge from your record?

If you have been found in violation of your sentence or probation, the state of Indiana will likely summon you back to court to punish you further. And the ramifications for the alleged violation can be even more serious than the punishment that was originally imposed. At The Law Office of John Alt, I am a former magistrate judge who confidently handles expungement and all types of post-sentencing relief that you need to ensure your rights are defended and interests are protected.

Post-Sentencing Issues

I aggressively represent my clients’ interests in a wide range of post-sentencing matters, including:


When you have your criminal record expunged, this means that the crime for which you were convicted is sealed and is no longer visible on your criminal record. Though this is not available in every situation, I can help you understand your rights and the benefits of having your criminal record expunged.

Probation Violations In Indiana

Judges do not take probation violations lightly. If the probation department has filed a violation notice with the court, the judge may issue a warrant or an order to appear for a probation violation hearing.

Common probation violations punishments include:

  • More frequent drug tests and/or check-ins
  • New counseling requirements
  • Longer probation
  • Wearing an ankle monitor
  • Possible bond restrictions
  • Added jail time
  • A return to prison

If a probation violation has been filed against you, it is very important that you have excellent legal representation. At The Law Office of John Alt, our Indianapolis probation violation attorney has personally been involved in thousands of probation violation hearings. Attorney Alt will work with you and your probation officer on a plan to bring your probation into compliance and advocate that the judge continue your probation without additional sanctions.

Community Corrections Violations In Indiana

The courts take community corrections violations extremely seriously. Work release, GPS and home detention violations can result in immediate incarceration. If you are in violation of your community corrections, it is imperative you immediately contact an attorney.

Sentence Modifications In Indiana

While some offenses are not eligible for modification, if an individual has productively used their Department of Correction time to improve themselves and has a well-thought-out plan for success, they may be able to obtain a sentence modification.

The most common sentence modification is a change of placement. For instance, an individual incarcerated in the Indiana Department of Correction may petition the trial judge to allow them to serve the remainder of their sentence at community corrections work release or home detention. I have the necessary knowledge and experience in these matters and know when a motion for modification can result in an immediate change of placement.

Accused Of A Violation?

One of the biggest mistakes a defendant can make is to admit to the violation at their first court appearance. They get intimidated by the situation, the prosecutor, or the judge and make the mistake of thinking that quickly admitting to the violation is the easiest way to get through the process unscathed.

Admitting to any post-sentencing violation without an attorney is not in your best interest. I have the experience and tough-as-nails attitude to challenge alleged post-sentencing violations. I am committed to analyzing the evidence against you and work tirelessly to get the violation dismissed outright, or the threatened consequences reduced to a more manageable level.

Talk To Me About Your Options

Seeking an expungement or other post-sentencing relief? At The Law Office of John Alt, I am here to help with a variety of post-sentencing matters. Contact me online today or call my Indianapolis office at 317-981-7399 to schedule your free consultation.